Reflections on the 6th annual memorial blood drive

Yesterday (January 25, 2008) was the 6th annual memorial blood drive in Sparks building. BUT, the drive beyond PSU goes on! Please keep donating and sending me notes and photos (janicekrieger@gmail.com) as posting names to the list of donors makes me feel profoundly happy.

I found this year, as I have for the past 5 years, that absorbing myself in the business of a blood drive was a useful outlet for all the emotions the month of January brings. But, a few days ago, I found myself halted in my busy little tracks by a posting on another blog (the note from coach on a blog written by one of Mandy's childhood friends). Part of the comment said, "When you think of her and others you have lost, be incredibly grateful for the wisdom that their lives have imparted on you."

When I think about Mandy, I am always reminded that there is nothing more important in life than the love and care we show for one another. I am often accused of being unrealistically optimistic for believing that each of us can make a positive difference in this life. But Mandy did, and so did each and every person who participated in this blood drive. Thank you to EVERYONE who donated (or plan to) your time, energy, and resources to give the gift of life to others. These were truly acts of love.

And now for the numbers...

The long distance blood drive has really helped us take this effort national! Thus far, we have had 23 donations (or attempts) from 8 states and 1 district :-) We are still counting, so stay tuned...

The traditional blood drive held in Sparks Building yesterday was also extremely successful. They had 39 attempts, with 29 pints of blood collected. Most importantly, 12 of the donors were first-time donors! A heart-felt thank you to Hillary Jones, Mary Haman, and the rest of the Penn State Communication Arts & Sciences graduate students who put so much time, energy, and love into this event. Check back soon for photos...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a WONDERFUL entry Janice! Keep your optimism alive forever. I'm right there with you.

Thank you for updating us, and for so much more. I look forward to learning of more peoples participation.