Peace Plant- A post by Maggie Pitts

My heart was filled this week with love, peace, and remembrance of loss for my dear friend Amanda. After Amanda's funeral the family asked if anyone would like to take some of the plants that were given as gifts home with them. I selected a very small peace lily plant. I called it "Amanda Plant" and have always been very protective over the plant. I don't have much of a green thumb, but I felt it very important to nurture this particular plant. It has done well through various moves across the country, but never really thrived. It certainly never bloomed. The New Year has been a very happy one for my family. In September, Jake and I welcomed our son, Jude Quinn, into our lives. Since then I have felt a deep connection with things living and things past. I understand more the idea of "Mother's Love." I understand more the desire for peace, well-being, and genuine friendship. Still, this January came in a hurry and amidst all the sleepless nights and frantic preparations for my academic pursuits I haven't had time to sit and reflect on the deep connection I felt with Amanda. This is the first year I cannot give blood for the memorial blood drive. It is the first year that I wasn't acutely aware of what I was doing this month 7 years ago. I have been thinking of Amanda. In fact, having conversations with her about my son and what she would be doing right now if she was still on this plane with us. But these thoughts seem more scattered than before - as if it's hard to concentrate on one thing. What is remarkable is that this year even though I felt as though I wasn't connecting as much as before, I felt something reach out to me. The peace lily bloomed. It bloomed despite my not taking very good care of it since the arrival of my son. It bloomed despite all the sunless days that have marked this winter. It bloomed. It seemed to bloom to call my memories back and to experience again the love I felt for my friend, and for all things. This year a presence reached out to me to remind me that we are all one. All things connected. Thank you Amanda, for always teaching me, on Earth as it is in Heaven, that we are all one. We are all love.
Peace be with everyone,
Maggie

1 comment:

judi said...

'Teary eyed' Beautifully written, Mags!!! oxoxox